Tuesday 27 October 2015

Pure Wool Love


Unfortunately the bug is still in the house and now we're all poorly!
*cue sarcastic woop!*
Fingers crossed the bucketfuls of hot lemon and vapour rub will see us right


I don't know if it's just me, but I refuse to work on anything for my customers whilst I'm ill. I don't know, it just doesn't feel right, especially if it's a wonderful snuggly blanket for a little one!
So, work aside, I've decided to treat myself to a few crochet goodies myself!


Today's project, a lovely crocheted bowl made from a gorgeous pure wool from The Lost Gardens of Heligan 


Since I started my love of wool through felting, it's always been very important to me to make sure that the wool I use is actually wool and not a plastic hybrid.
I love wool! 
It's beautiful, practical, wonderful to work with and in all honesty pure magic!
Read a few points here to get an idea of its total awesomeness:



I thought I'd treat my house to a pure wool bowl (it's found a home in my bathroom, keeping all of my hair bobbles in one tidy place at the moment).
It's a very simple crochet pattern, but I'll write it down in case you want to have a go:

(UK crochet pattern)

Using a crochet hook sized 4.50mm
and Heligan Garden Twine, 100% pure wool

~ Ch 4 and sl st
(working in continuous rounds)
~ htr 12 sts into the centre circle
~ 2htr into every st
~2htr in the 1st st and 1 htr in the next st - repeat to the end of the round
~ 2htr in the next st and 1 htr in the next 2 st - repeat to the end of the round
~ 2htr in the next st and 1 htr in the next 3 st - repeat to the end of the round
~ dc into the front loop of each st to the end of the round
(changing to a size 4mm hook)
~ dc in every st to the end of the round
~ repeat the previous step for another 8 rounds ( or to your desired height)
~ change the colour of your yarn for the finishing st (I chose a scrap piece of blue yarn from my stash. You don't need much)
~ sl st to the end of the round
~ fasten off







I love how the twine gives the bowl more rigidity than what a softer wool would.
I've made bowls from normal, household string before too, and that's worked out quite well.
Perhaps even replace the blue edging for red and make an adorable Xmasy bowl and fill it with treats for a present with a personal touch!


Fall in love with wool!


x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts