Friday 5 July 2013

An Omelette Fit For A King!

 
Now, those who know me, know that I can barely boil an egg, let alone cook an omelette!
So I won't try and lie and pretend this is me, but having an ex-chef hubby-to-be comes in super handy sometimes!
 
For anyone who can visually tell the difference between a slice of butter and a slice of cheese 
- apparently, I can not - 
this is for you!
 
 
The first step to omelette awesomeness is preparation:
 
(For 2 people)
 

Here we have:
~ 5 eggs (we're a greedy pair!) mixed with finely cubed, salted butter, some milk, black pepper (adjust to your preference) and a small amount of cream cheese
~ 2 portions of hard cheese, cute into small cubes for easy melting
~ 2 small portions of ham cut into thin (but not too thin!) slices
~ A mixture of healthy spinach, plum tomatoes (room temperature apparently)
 
 
Then on to the cooking!
 
~ First heat the pan. You don't want it scorching hot, but a little more than just warm.
(Lewis tested this by slapping his hand against the pan. I'm not sure what this does, and I personally wouldn't advise it!)
 
~ Pour the egg mixture into the pan and jiggle the pan around to make the mixture settle nicely.
Give it a gentle stir with you spatula too, this helps to melt the butter into the mix.
 
~ Add 1 of the portions of cheese while the mixture is still quite runny so that it melts into the mixture.
 
~ As the egg starts to cook and the base starts to set, make some holes through the cooked base with your spatula and jiggle the pan around. This will let the uncooked egg on the top through to cook.
 
 
Then we come the good bit...
 
~ Add the rest of the ingredients onto the top of your omelette (try to get an even spreading if you can).
 


Mmmm!
 
 
 
~ Cook the omelette for a while longer to cook the egg through and brown the bottom.
 
Now at this point you might want to call it a day with your lovely omelette, but as I reminded Lewis that we are growing a small child, I need my eggs to be cooked all the way through.
Much to his dismay, he popped the omelette under the grill for a minute or 2 to 'obliterate' the eggs into a thoroughly cooked state.
 
To continue...
 
~ Using your spatula, fold your omelette in half like so:
 
 
and cook for another minute.
 
 
And unless you're being REALLY greedy,
 
~ Cut the omelette in half
 
 
 
 

And that's all!
 
Just serve with a few slices of buttered toast
 

Perfection!

It really was a delicious dinner fit for omelette loving kings!
I know that most of you know how to cook an omelette of wonderfulness like this, but to anyone who isn't sure, I hope that this helps.
:)
 
I would like to point out that I took no part in the making of this lovely piece of omelette awesomeness, and the credit goes solely to Mr Lewis for saving me from my inability to cook anything!
 
 
But seeing as how we will be having a small human sharing our lives with us soon, I think I'd better learn how to cook edible food sharpish!
 
 
Hopefully in the near future I will be sharing my cooking attempts with you all, Lewis has bought me a cooking book called "How To Boil An Egg" which sounds like it'd suit me to the ground!
I'll try recreating this dish soon to test my skills and then on to the cook book!
 
 
 
Wish me luck folks!
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

Popular Posts